Martyrs of Destiny

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Martyrs of Destiny
Martyrs of Destiny
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News from Chile after earthquake

4 posters

Go down

News  from Chile after earthquake Empty News from Chile after earthquake

Post  Liv Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm

The earthquake originated in Concepcion, south of Chile, at 3.34 AM on Friday 26th of February. The quake lasted at least one minute, one minute of horror and tension for everyone. Chile had never felt a quake like that since 1960, the strongest earthquake of the world (9,3 Richter scale). This one was 8,8.
Many people lost their homes, most of them in Concepcion and many other buildings made of adobe (a special kind of bricks of mus used in really old constructions).
In many places (specially in the south of Chile) people don't have water and electricity... Many of them couldn't use them anyways, 'cause they don't have homes to live right now.
Roads and higways were cut, because many bridges fell or roads just split. The main higway I use to go to school every day was closed, that left us almost completely isolated... and now that we don't have electricity nor water (Grohg has, I don't), we are not aware of what's happening in the rest of Chile. We heard from the news all this and I'll keep you update if you're interested to know more about this tragedy. Hopefully I can upload some pictures soon of what the streets looked like and many other buildings that are on the ground right now.
Cya.
Liv
Liv
Admin

http://www.myspace.com/Leatrix

Back to top Go down

News  from Chile after earthquake Empty Re: News from Chile after earthquake

Post  Liv Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:17 pm

In the south of Chile reigns chaos. Many people have lost heir homes and all they had, so they steal the big supermarkets saying they are taking only the necessary to live, but many people take advantage of this situation and steal big TVs or electronic stuff to sell them, because all the money hey had earned in their whole lifetime was in their homes, and now the homes are completely destroyed. So now they need the money to buy food and important stuff AND money to build a new home for their families.
What many people can't understand, is why those guys after stealing the supermarket, they burn the building down, leaving nothing, nothing behind.
90% of Santiago has electricity in their homes and can move on and go on with their normal lives, but what about the 10% that's left? That includes me and my family.
People that has water and electricity at their homes can forget easily about what happened, but the fact that you don't have water or electricity reminds you every minute you're there of what happened and that you must be thankful that you're alive...
Hopefully they can soon repair all the damages the country has suffered. This is the chance to start over and make things better.
I'll post pictures later.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mercylus Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

its so messed up how some people will take advantage of oppourtunities, even in the midst of a crisis. i hope you, grohg, and both ur families will find what y'all need Sad
Mercylus
Mercylus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  timaselj Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Well about that, I can see why they are doing it, but its still wrong. Too wrong... Any yeah, I hope you will be ok, and get everything you need. (the essentials or whateva Razz)
timaselj
timaselj

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

[About the posts: we're good, i mean, we didn't lose our homes like ppl in south, now we have water and electricity and most of the supermarkets in Santiago are open, so we haven't got any problems (: ]

#3 Exclamation
Almost everything is normal now. People are afraid of the little quakes that will go on throughout the year, but they'll be not as strong as the first one, of course.
Chile is getting together and are starting private and non profit organizations to help the people in the south by collecting clothes, food and cleaning stuff.

Here are the pictures I told you about:

News  from Chile after earthquake DSC01305

News  from Chile after earthquake DSC01304

News  from Chile after earthquake DSC01302
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mercylus Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 pm

my goodness, that sidewalk or whatever, was a mess Surprised
Mercylus
Mercylus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  timaselj Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:44 pm

If that was near Santiago, imagine what it must have been at the epicentre... Anyways I'm sooo glad that you are both ok. And according to some scientists, the day has been shortened by 1 milisecond, because of the earthquake, and earth had moved 1 nm from it's course. It may not sound much, especially cuz our planet is quite big, but imagine that that distance will increase every year. I read this in some science magazine Razz
timaselj
timaselj

Back to top Go down

Post  Mercylus Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:54 pm

leave it to scientists to say somethin as stupid as that geek
Mercylus
Mercylus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeffyboii Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:11 am